The end of the year and the first weeks of the new year is the time when plans for the upcoming season are made and when the transfer deals in the windsurfing scene start. A lot of the deals are already done and dusted…
Article Updated 16.1.2017
- Italian freestyle pro Mattia Fabrizi (25) left Fanatic/NorthSails and joined Patrik/Sailloft Hamburg
- German wave pro and traveller Florian “Flo” Jung leaves RRD after many years and joins Starboard to work on the new “Eco-board concept” with the goal to produce products with a minimum impact on the natural resources and a maximum performance on the water.
Flo Jung: “ I am really happy to be part of the Starboard team and help to produce boards out of renewable, recycled or biodegradable materials that will set new standards in terms of performance and innovative board design. It feels great to make a step in the right direction by protecting the planet and the ocean that are the foundation for our sport. Finally we have a choice to ride on sustainable products that will have positive effects even beyond the windsurf world.”
Svein Rasmussen: “Stoked to see Florian Jung joining the “Tiki tribe”. We are busy designing, building and testing more environmental friendly products. Florian is already engaged in environmental work and we see him as a strong partner in all aspects. Looking forward to build boards in the future with less than 100kg/ CO2 carbon footprint and planting lot’s of mangroves to make up for the remaining parts.”
- Multiple world champion and Aloha Classic winner 2016 Sarah-Quita Offringa made it in the Brunotti team for 2017.
- It looks like French racer Pascal Toselli will leave Challenger Sails
- UK freestyler Nic Hibdige got an upgrade. He made it from the national to the international team of Tabou/Gaastra.
- Bonaire pro and Lanzarote resident Tonky Frans left Sailloft Hamburg and will be sailing with RRD sails and boards.
- youth wave PWA champ 2016 Marc Pare left 99NoveNove and will be on Simmer boards, he was on Simmer Sails already, he got a one year contract
- Dutch Pro racer Ingmar Daldorf left Patrik/Loftsails (supported by Windsurfing4you) and joined Tabou/Gaastra for a one year contract
- Fuerteventura resident wave sailor Corky Kirkham from UK joined Challenger Sails
- Pozo local Omar Sanchez will ride on Carbon Art boards in 2017/2018
- French pro racer Cyril Mousilmani, the vice Slalom PWA World Champion from 2014 left Starboard after 6 years of good collaboration and will be riding 99NoveNove, in a team together with Slalom pro Pascal Toselli and designer/shaper Finian Maynard
- Ricardo Campello announced through his Facebook account that he will not be on Patrik in 2017, but he didn’t announce a new board sponsor yet
- Belgian top freestyler Yentel Caers left NeilPryde and moved on to the Italian brand Point-7
- French racer Marion Mortefon left Patrik/Gun Sails and joined Fanatic/NorthSails and is on the same brand as her brother Pierre: “It’s also super nice from the Mortefon side with the entry of Marion (my sister) on to the North Sails and Fanatic Team ! We can also thank the TEAM SUD DE FRANCE and the GRAND NARBONNE for the combined support … I hope this collaboration will help both of us but I am pretty sure that this family story is A+.” (Source: PWAworldtour 2017)
- Ethan Westera from Aruba, the 2016 youth PWA Slalom champion left JP-Australia and is on Tabou
- French racer Antoine Questel left Gaastra after 2 years and joined S2 Maui
- Delphine Cousin, world’s number 3 in the Slalom discipline, left Gun Sails and will be on S2 Maui
- Italian journalist and windsurfer Fabio Calo left NoveNove and is with RRD in 2017, he will be the new manager of the Pier Windsurf at Lake Garda, too
- German racer & speed windsurfer Gunnar Asmussen left NorthSails after 10 years and joined Severne Sails, he got a two year contract and actually trains in Western Australia
- Dutch racer Ben van der Steen left Gaastra after 4 and Tabou after 3 years and joined Patrik/Gun Sails. Ben lives in Tarifa and the Gun Sails is located very close to his home
- Adriaan and Dorian van Rijsselberghe are leaving Starboard and joined Fanatic for 2017
- Young talented Dutch racer Coen Swijnenberg is not with JP-Australia/NeilPryde anymore , after 6 years, and will be on Patrik/Gun Sails
- UK’s racer and multiple UK Slalom champion James Dinsmore will leave Severne Sails after 4 years of collaboration
- Kiri Thode left Starboard/Gaastra after 13 years of collaboration and a world title win in the PWA freestyle discipline in 2013.
- Riccardo Marca got an upgrade. He made it from the national to the international Fanatic/North team.
- German freestyler Marco Lufen left JP-Australia/NeilPryde and joined the team of Fanatic/NorthSails
- German wave sailor Max Droege left Windflüchter/Sailloft Hamburg and will be part of the Fanatic/NorthSails team
- Venezuelan freestyler Deivis Paternina from El Yaque, Venezuela, who was on Xtreme Sails and used GA as well, joined the Loftsails International Team for 2017 onwards.
- German legend Andy Laufer, the “consul”, is part of the Fanatic/NorthSails team after using Point-7, NoveNove, Patrik & RRD in the past years
- US racing boys Micah Buzianis and Josh Angulo are back in business. They will ride on S2 Maui sails in the Slalom World Cup in 2017. Josh already used the S2 Maui wave sails in the Aloha Classic 2016 and tested sails together with Micah on Maui, who has been involved in the R&D of S2 Maui for a while.
- Pozo local & high flyer Eleazar Alonso is part of the Xtreme Sails team with their home base in Lanzarote. In the last year he was on Starboard/Severne.
- Edvan Souza rides Flikka boards. The Brazilian recently won the wave event in Jericoacoara.
- Gabriel Browne, brother of wave crack Marcilio “Brawzinho” Browne, is going to return in the racing World Cup after a long break. He will sail with MauiSails and Goya. Goya obviously developed a full Slalom board range for 2017. What a surprising news and change of their image.
- 19 year old French freestyle hot shot Sam Esteve made it in the international team of NeilPryde
- Italian racer Bruno Martini joined the RRD international team for 2017
- Italian slalom windsurfer Andrea Rosati joins Loft Sails