Today the PWA World Tour announced their provisional PWA World Tour Calendar 2021.
The first event could happen in France in May. 13 events are announced in total: 10 racing events (6 are confirmed), 3 wave events (2 are confirmed), 1 youth only wave event and 2 freestyle events (both are confirmed).
It looks like racing (including slalom and foil) is the dominating discipline nowadays. With events in Israel and Sri Lanka two new destinations are added. The event in Viana do Castelo in Portugal returns to the calendar after two years abstinence. New Caledonia, Noumea could host the Slalom finals again like in 2019.
PWA: As you can all imagine, the enormous levels of uncertainty, surrounding travel and large scale events, have had a significant impact on the PWA and the PWA Tour. Despite huge efforts on the part of our event organizers, 2020 saw only 2 events take place, with the very successful 1 Star Slalom World Tour event in Croatia, and enormously popular Youth Wave World Cup in Klitmoller both managing to avoid the worst of the pandemic and go ahead as planned. Despite the challenges, we have been working hard with our event partners to ensure that top flight windsurfing does not disappear and that we can get back on the water, to compete, as soon as possible. To that end, we are pleased to release a tentative schedule of events that we are working to bring you for 2021. Due to the pandemic, it is still possible that anything could change, and events may be rescheduled to different dates, switch to different disciplines, or change in status from World Cup or Grand Slam to something lower. In the worst cases, it may be that we are forced to cancel events.
Provisional PWA World Tour Calendar 2021:
- France- Marignane (May – TBC)
- Israel (June -TBC) Slalom World Cup 5*
- Spain – Catalonia/Costa Brava (8th – 13th June – TBC)
- Portugal – Viana do Castelo (21th – 26th June) Slalom World Cup 5*
- Croatia (2nd – 7th July) Slalom World Tour 2*
- Spain – Gran Canaria/Pozo Izquierdo (9th – 17th July) Wave World Cup 5*
- Sri Lanka (20th – 25th July) Slalom World Cup 5*
- Spain – Fuerteventura/Sotavento (29th July – 7th August) Grand Slam 6* (Slalom & Freestyle)
- Spain – Tenerife/El Cabezo (August – TBC) Wave World Cup 5*
- South Korea – Ulsan/Jinha Beach (5th – 10th September) Slalom World Cup 5*
- Denmark – Cold Hawaii/Klitmoller (12th – 18th September) Wave Youth World Cup
- Germany – Sylt/Brandenburger Strand (24th September – 3rd October) Grand Slam 7* (Slalom, Wave & Freestyle)
- New Caledonia – Noumea (November – TBC) Slalom World Cup 5*