On day 8 of the event in Sylt we saw a thrilling freestyle final in the men’s double elimination. Gollito Estredo won not only the event but also his 8th PWA Freestyle World Champion title. What a great achievement! Richly deserved.
Video – Gollito Estredo wins Sylt and is PWA Freestyle World Champion 2017
A few riders had a good comeback in the double elimination like Yentel Caers, who won 3 heats in a row and then lost to Sam Esteve, who nailed a brilliant Double Air Culo. Sam won his next heat against Antoine Albert but was was stopped by Italian Jacopo Testa, who has a great season winning the EFPT event in Lanzarote, finishing the PWA event in Sotavento in 4th and making it on the podium at a PWA World Cup and in the PWA overall ranking in 2017 for the first time in his career. Amado Vrieswijk then stopped Jacopo and faced 7 times freestyle World Champion Gollito Estredo.
Gollito was in form and defeated Amado, who was underpowered in the final. Gollito won the final with a score of 111.1 points against Amado (104.5 points) in extremely difficult onshore conditions and a lot of powerful white water. Amado had only 2 moves on porttack on his score sheet, but it was still really close to Gollito’s score. Imagine, Gollito had 41.3 points against 60.5 points of Amado on starboard tack, but won on port tack with 40.9 against 20.1 points. Congratulations to Gollito Estredo, who wins the Sylt Freestyle event and his 8th title in the freestyle discipline and as well to Amado Vrieswijk and Jacopo Testa.
Result Freestyle Windsurf World Cup Sylt 2017
1. Gollito Estredo
2. Amado Vrieswijk
3. Jacopo Testa
4. Sam Esteve
5. Antoine Albert
6. Yentel Caers
7. Balz Müller, Francesco Cappuzzo
9. Mattia Fabrizi, Adiren Bosson, Youp Schmit, Davy Scheffers
13. Antony Ruenes, Tonky Frans, Giovanni Passani, Riccardo Marca, Julien Mas, Steven van Broeckhoven, Phil Soltysiak, Yegor Popretinskiy, Nicolas Akgzciyan, Loick Spicher, Max Rowe, Nic Hibdige
25. Max Matissek, Antoine Martin, Julian Wiemar, Thomas Traversa, Adrian Beholz, Marco Lufen, Dieter van der Eyken, Jeremy Plüss
33. Kiri Thode, Tilo Eber, Yarden Meir, Tony Mottus, Deivis Paternina, Julien Quentel, Adam Sims, Valentin Böckler, Aron Etmon, Milan Gielingh, Jamier Howard, Ricardo Campello, Kevin Langbehn