On January 18, 2020 the European Freestyle Pro Tour (EFPT) released their 2020 calendar. It’s a big calendar with 9 tour stops: 8 freestyle windsurfing events in Spain, Italy, Lanzarote, Fuerteventura, Egypt, Denmark and the Netherlands and 1 tow-in event in Switzerland.
Once again the EFPT season will be opened at the end of April at the Surf Worldcup in Neusiedl am See in Austria with a €10.000,- freestyle windsurfing event. The final agreement is still to be made and negotiations are ongoing with the organiser who is very keen to bring back Europes finest freestyler to this freestyle hotspot in Austria, after running a tow-in only show in 2019.
After a month break, the next event will be the EFPT Spiaggia Lunga event at Vieste in Italy from the 3rd – 6th of June. The event was a good success in 2019.
The third stop is going to be the EFPT Las Dunas event in Costa Brava – organised by Fase Wind from the 16th – 21st of June. The spot delivered some extreme windsurfing conditions in 2019 and took the riders to their limits, when they were competing on their smallest sails in wind gusting up to 50 knots. Just as the previous year, Costa Brava will host a EFPT pro and junior division. With € 15.000,- prize-money up for grabs and a flawless organisation, this event promises to be one of the highlights this year.
Over the summer the EFPT moves to the Canary islands, to Lanzarote & Fuerteventura with events for pros and juniors. Afterwards an event in Egypt is announced like in 2019. Let’s see if it will happen this year.
Hvide Sande in Denmark, it’s well known for Slalom events – plans a freestyle event, too. In early September the popular ‚Waterz‘ Festival could be the place for Europe’s freestyle elite with a three star event. It still needs to be confirmed!
Brouwersdam in the Netherlands again will host the final event for men and juniors in 2020.
Positive news are: 7 of the 8 EFPT windsurfing freestyle events have a prize money of 10.000€ or more and will therefore be official PWA qualifying events.
A total prize money of 84.000€ (61.000 € in 2019, 86.000 € in 2018, 33.000 € in 2017, 18.000€ in 2016) will be distributed in 2020, what’s an increase compared to the 2019 season as long as the calendar stays like this. The EFPT again offers a great opportunity for juniors & pros (men only) to show their skills in freestyle events all around Europe.
The provisional EFPT tour calendar in 2020 (release day 18.01.2020)
- Neusiedl, Lake Neusiedl, Austria: 30.04. -03.05.2020 – freestyle windsurfing 10.000 € (TBC)
- Spiaggia Lunga, Vieste, Gargano, Italy: 03.06. – 07.06.2020 – freestyle men 10.000 €
- Costa Brava, Catalonia, Spain: 16.06.-21.06.2020 – freestyle men & juniors 15.000 € (pros only)
- Lanzarote, Costa Teguise: 24. – 27.06.2020 – freestyle men & juniors 10.000 € (pros only)
- Matas Blancas, Fuerteventura, Canary Islands: 29.06. – 02.07.2020 – freestyle men & juniors 10.000 € (pros only)
- El Gouna, Egypt, 11.08. – 15.08.2020 – freestyle men 5000 €
- Lake Silvaplana, Switzerland: 20.-23.08.2020 – freestyle tow-in 4000 €
- Hvide Sande, Denmark: 08.-12.09.2020 – freestyle men 10.000 € (TBC)
- Brouwersdam, Netherlands: 08.10. – 11.10.2020 – freestyle men & juniors 10.000 € (pros only) (TBC)