Home » Backstage, Best, Race

Josh Angulo left Gun Sails – Interview

on 20. February, 2012 – 20:14 / 40 Comments

Josh Angulo (37), two times PWA World Champion in the Waveriding discipline, finished his collaboration with Gun Sails a few days ago. He was part in the Gun Sails racing sail development, is now without a sailsponsor and looks into an uncertain future in terms of racing. Imagine, Josh had won his second worldtitle in 2009, finished the 2011 Slalom season in 9th position and even finished on the podium at South Korea. Josh is definitely one of the sailors, who gave the sport of windsurfing a lot of energy and ideas and always went for 100%. He definitely lives the sport with a lot of passion, developes own products, built up an own windsurfing center, organized events at Ponta Preta and won the most prestigious wave events on tour. Is this now the end on the PWA tour after an almost two decades long career with many highs and many lows?

Read more about this surprising news in the following interview!

Josh Angulo won an elimination at Jinha Beach, South Korea and made it overall in third position (Pic: Carter/PWAworldtour).

C7: Josh, is it true that you have left your sailsponsor Gun Sails?
Josh Angulo: Yes, it’s quite recent news. Yes, it’s a recent decision.

C7: The news is pretty late. Normally riders change at the end of the year? Was it as well a surprise for you to have no sailsponsor just before the start of the 2012 tour?

Josh: Honestly, it’s a very bad timing. I sent my offer in September, but only now did I get any concrete answers. What you come to learn is that the companies just do it on their timing. I was quite surprised when I was given an offer very very different from my previous 2 years so late in the year. Because they took so much time, I figured everything was pretty much on track for the upcoming years. I think it’s fine, if a company doesn’t want to continue, but I believe a professional communication courtesy should be given when any brand knows that they don’t plan to continue their cooperation. We’re in a small, family-oriented industry and I believe minimal professional courtesies should be extended, whenever possible and this was definitley a situation, where I should have had this news many months earlier.

C7: You were working for two years to develop a competitive sail. Isn´t it the wrong decision to leave now?

Josh: I think that there was a decent dynamic between myself and the development team during the first year and we were able to take my ranking from 29th place to 9th place in just one year of development. During 2011 , however, Gun Sails didn’t involve me at all in any development which I thought was strange, but it’s their company. I’m sure I could have brought, together with Renato, a very strong sail to the market, if we were given the chance to continue the development, but I guess the big bosses had a different idea. For me, I was given no choice but to leave. I am not at the age where I can compete “just for fun”. Or I do it with a serious motivation to achieve the best for myself and my partners, or as any grown man providing for his family I need to choose alternative employment opportunities.

Josh Angulo in the fight with Antoine Albeau at Alacati 2011 (Pic: Carter/PWAworldtour).

C7: Gun Sails and Angulo started a closer collaboration last year. Angulo Boards were promoted within the Gun range and you were taking care on the Gun distribution in the US. Does this change now as well?

Josh: Historically, professional windsurfing has been my main focus and in recent years as well on the boards. I honestly believed that the cooperation between Gun and Angulo with boards, sails, windsurf centers, racing, development was in it’s early stages and I was looking forward to see it all expand. For the moment distribution channels are “as is” and we’ll have to wait and see what the future holds , but of course I could see difficulty of Gun promoting the boards if I’m on a different sail, or me promoting Gun Sails if I’m on a different sail. At the moment I have no sponsor , so I’m not  worried about changing things up unnecesarrily, but I will be interested to see how the future unfolds.

C7: You had your best Slalom season for a long time, finishing 9th overall, with one place on the podium in South Korea and a 6th in Alacati. Now you have no sailsponsor. What does this mean for a sportsman?

Josh: As a sportsman/ competitor, this is the hardest part. When you get used to doing something all your life, it’s always hard to walk away, but the reality is, more than a sportsman I am a father and a husband and at this point in my life, family takes priority. Most people know full well that the industry takes advantage of most “pros”, because most “pros” are doing it as a hobby and to gain the life experience. I actually encourage young guys to do it at whatever way possible because it is fun, but for someone in my position, you can’t just leave a family at home without any real reason for getting on a plane. Last year, I had some good runs and won a couple finals and had one podium finish as  well as some very strong races. I was excited that, if we continued to better develop the rigs than I would have a chance at a world title. So yes, I feel a bit the pain at this moment that this project was cut short, but I am strongly confident that when one door closes, another door opens. So I move forward in faith that new opportunities in this field or others will soon arise.

“Also, despite how the situation ended with Gun I would like to thank them for being involved in 2 years of my livelihood and career.  There are some people involved in that company that I consider friends and although we are mutually experiencing this small speed bump in the road of life, I  wish them the best.” (Josh Angulo, 2012)

Josh leads the pack (Pic: Carter/PWAworldtour).

C7: It sounds, there was again a communication problem between you and the company, like it happened between you and MauiSails as well. You are a very communicative guy, who wants to solve problems straight and find a quick solution.

Josh: It seems when it comes to sponsors, maybe I take too much time. With Maui Sails, I really didn’t expect it, because I won the world title in 2009 and then they changed their position in 2010. Once again, I guess I was naive in thinking it was all gonna be OK with them. With Gun, honestly I started talking in August – I flew to Saarbrucken, Germany for a meeting – and gave my concrete proposal in September. I tried to give them the time the needed and at the same time sent many follow up mails, but then sometimes you feel like you’re hitting the wall and just don’t really want to chase after them, because you can’t understand, why you can’t get a simple e-mail response.

C7: 2009 was one of your highlights in your career, with winning the second PWA Wave Worldtitle. You were an idol in waves for decades. You probably are still an idol for many windsurfers out there. But, then you announced your retirement from professional wave windsurfing, changed to MauiSails, focused more on Slalom, moved to Boston, left the famous Ponta Preta righthander and changed to Gun Sails, to develop a Slalom sail. In hindsight, was it a fault to concentrate that much on Slalom?  The video from 2009 produced by Umi with you at Cape Verde, was one of the most viewed videos on Continentseven so far!

Josh:  This was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I was quite happy to win a wave title at 35 years old. It’s really hard to keep up with the young guys and I just didn’t have the motivation to put 110% into wavesailing competition. I still consider myself a strong waverider in strong conditions, but my level in the port tack jumping is no where near that of Philip Koster, so it would be a mistake for me to chase that. Slalom , however, given the right material and motivational reasons, I still think I could battle with all the top guys and go for the top position.

Josh took the wave title at Sylt in 2009 again (Pic: Carter/PWAworldtour).

C7: Are you now feeling like thrown off the track? Or are you too experienced already, that it does not affect you really?

Josh: Well, let’s just say that I try not to put all my eggs in one basket. I am for sure more affected by 2 things : 1) The way it all went down 2)  Maybe Not being able to experience the thrill of top-level racing and fulfilling some personal goals, but I am also motivated about the excitment of getting ” thrown off track” so to speak. heading off into new territory can be quite exciting.

C7:  If you can´t find a sailcompany, which will support you for 2012, what happens? What is your plan?

Josh: I will no matter what continue to put a lot of energy into watersports. There is a substantial SUP market here in New England, where I live and I am developing some beginner and kids boards and rigs so that should be cool to be able to really get involved in the grass roots level. Also, fortunatley over the years we’ve been blessed with strong team in Cabo Verde and our business there is moving along well. So I do have some projects, where I can focus my time and of course kids getting older and wife being wife, makes it that more attention is neccesarry in the family department

C7:  You once stated in an interview with German SURF in 2010 after your change to Gun Sails: “God gave me the opportunity to work together with a brand, where I have the feeling as if it were mine.” Seems like God was wrong. What do you feel is the right step now?

Josh: God’s plan is always the right plan in my life. The Bible says when we put our eyes on him, he will make our paths straight. Sometimes it takes some shake-ups in our life to remind us, that we are so dependant of his strength and mercy. The most incredible thing I’m able to experience through all this is PEACE. Of course I’ve gone through my human emotions of anxiety , fear and uncertainty, but in the and God ( Jesus) is building in me a peace, that shows me clearly that me and my family will end up OK and be provided for.

© continentseven.com 2012

• Vladimir says:

Keep it up Josh! For me you one of the best riders and class A ad. sportsman so far. All windsurfing industry went wrong at some point i can feel it. God help you!

• Vinnie says:

What about Slalom and wave board with angulo brand ?

• georgi says:

Great interview from a top athlete and windsurfing legend. One of the last true Hawaiians left. How big are are such personalities that make windsurfing what it is and how microscopic are those corporate small creeps producing disposable sails. At least they can show some respect and carry out a normal communication so that the guy can make his plans. I dont think it will cost them anything. Simply a question of good manners. I can only wish this crap sail brand not to sell a single sail in the next five years, which will eventually happen sooner or later.

• julian says:

Why not try to sign for Loft Sails? They are very fast.

All the best

• Dahab says:

Great interview Josh. And sorry Gun to say that: you are some lazy asses in answering emails when I as a customer want to make a huge order of few thousand euros and you just dont freaking answer… Is this how you treat people who pay you money? With Josh you lost the biggest name in your team… Shame Gun!

• liuhh says:

very interesting interview!

• myr says:

Very god interview. Some true words from mature guy.
    About Gun: What can I say? How stupid you have to be to just let go a name like ANGULO from your team . It shouldnt be even named now “A TEAM”. They have nobody , and will have nobody. But it shouldnt be no suprise for the company if they treat people ( in this case “Living Legend”) like this.
    Never liked Gun. Never owned Gun. Dont have Gun. Will not have Gun.
    Good luck Josh. Im sure you will achieve your personal goals.

• Ladyboyfromthailand says:

Wow!

Some straight up talking about a windsurfing brand!!! Good interview, and daring questions.

• Mark Angulo says:

Right on Josh ! You are correct concerning Gods plan. It is unfortunate for the sport of windsurfing , that some of these companies find it in their best interest to treat the sports top athletes poorly. Im glad you wish your friends at Gun Sails well. The fact is Jesus has your back and he has mine. Jesus has taken good care of both of us throughout the years, much better than we deserved, and Im confident His grace and mercy will continue. Im excited about your future ! If its slalom ,you’ll do great. If its something different, your gonna be stoked ! Either way , just do us all a favor, keep on ripping and giving glory to the Lord , because your an inspiration to us all !

• JJ says:

You are great Josh! Keep walking :)

• JJ says:

You are great Josh! :) We wish you all the best! :)

• John smith says:

Now i can see why camille left gun….but going to Maui sails doesnt look so good as Josh says…

• barry spanier says:

there are always two sides to every story. expectations sometimes don’t agree with results. if you talk communication… would have been nice to know josh’s plans for ‘retirement’ before he announced to the world after winning the WC on our sails, which he loved and said improved his sailing.
      business drives things when you are trying to survive in business. i love josh, would love to be working with him on many of his projects, but our sponsorship situation simply didn’t work out for both sides.

aloha
      barry

• drm says:

Very much wishing Josh the best of luck in the future. Certainly took great care of me and my needs when renting gear from him in Cabo Verde a couple of years ago.

There is a lot of shake-ups in the small sport of windsurfing, but even in harsh times you always should to treat people with the respect they deserve. And Josh, with all he has gone through and done for competitive windsurfing and just the pure inspiration he has been for so long when it comes to wavesailing, deserves a lot of it.

• XD313 says:

good interview, though I’m missing infomation, if there will be a 2012 Angulo board range. Anybody knows more about that?

• Taty Frans says:

much respect josh,

• Mag says:

cool down guys be objective, the truh has always 2 sides and we all have just read only a portion of it. Did someone ask Gun about? I guess there was a common interest to continue along and for sure no real intention to let him go otherwise why he appears in the 2012th catalogue. That`s not a personal matter between them as seems to appear from the interview, it`s just a reason of money. They did not come to agreement.

• Marcel says:

Would love to hear about ‘Gun’s’ story behind this, as this is a very straight forward coming from Josh. Treat me like shit, and I will retaliate.

I think its about time that ‘brands’ should stop being too commercial, and its great that there pro-sailors are willing to speak for the sport (like Jonas did before). They are the ones that bring the love and give us the gear. Not the ‘Marketeer that just wants to make money’.

Unfortunately for Gun’s sake not replying to e-mails does have the tendency to lead to bankruptcy at some businesses. Bad PR like this doest help as well. Something smells :-)

• Panagiotis Arnokouros says:

Josh now is the right time to be joined all your family’s experience & power with your brother Mark and your father Ed for being able altogether to offer the best boards production ever made, such as:
    for Longterm of Use,
    with the best ever made Durability, Performance, Easiness of Use.
    My personal opinion as a devoted windsurfer since 1978 is that the Windsurfers are getting tired to watch every year new boards models, new designs, new graphics, new advertisements, new team riders, new….new….new….new….
    I believe that it is the right time for the top quality windsurfing brands to keep the same models and designs for at least 2 to 3 years!!!!
    All the best!!!

• sick says:

Some big names out of tour,Levi Siver out of PWA tour,next was Jonas Ceballos who left the tour because he wasn’t getting supported and now one of the biggest legends of this sport have got the same problem,who is next? appears that companies treat them like shit.Let us treat them like shit too.
    Killing legends – Killing the Sport
    Josh you’re big!god bless you!

• Jan says:

Josh You’re the man! Keep it up and we all know it’s going to be ok!

GUN? They lost Juban and now You, they don’t really have a team now!

• mike says:

All the true competitors never treated right in this sports.
    Look around guys, who has more potential and has strong impact for the sports?
    Josh is the really good example, he represent this sports. Winning 2 wave title, started slalom and has much more chance to win the game in short experience of racing than any other younger slalom guys.
    His athletic level, mental revel as a competitor are still one of the best.
    I would like to see him on the podium this year.

Please Josh, do it!!!

• georgi says:

to panagiotis: I agree with you 100%. If something is working fine why should you want to change paintings and footpads every year? Just for the sake of change? As far as I remember Quatro is the only brand that kept its proved and tested 2011 quad models for 2012 as well, adding only different colors. I hope that brands like Goya, Angulo, Quatro etc. stay close to the minds and hearts of simple windsurfing fall-in-loves like myself. Everything else is a matter of marketing philosophy and personal charisma.

• Kan says:

How old is Josh? 30 something. How old is Jonas? And Levi Siver, why did he quit the tour?

I do not feel sorry for any of them. Josh seams to take good care of him self. If he really wants to do the slalom tour I guess he will. If family is priority number one for him thats ok with me.

Changes happen in every sport. New faces come up, older will go. As long as you are good enough there still is money to provide for you. But the windsurfing community is not a socialistic regime with lots of money taking care of all the riders someone feel should always be around.

Right now there are big economic crises in europe. Lots of people are suffering. Some old windsurfing pros not coming to agreement with their sail sponsor is not a big thing.

I hope Josh is fine. All he has given to the sport he has created for himself. I am sure he can create big things for himself further in life both on and of the water.

• kjell says:

I have had some serious planning to start sell gunsails and ANGULO boards this year, but after i have read this and alot of other testimonials and reviews about Gunsails, i won´t.

As you treat, you will be treated.

Best of luck to you Josh, god bless you.

Pura Vida

• Tore says:

Hi Kjell,
      you do know that GUN is following the direct marketing route, don´t you?
      They are not exactly looking for resellers!
      Tore

• Kan says:

Who would buy Gun sails anyway? I have never looked at them, not before Josh, not with Josh and not after. For that matter I was not looking at Ezzy either while Josh was there and having tried Maui Sails is was not because of Josh.

Who really buy sails because of a team rider?

• Yarden says:

………. How stupid can the windsurfing industry be? i mean, it cant go worse than that.

Always inspiring always ripping, Thanks for the show Josh!

• Jelle says:

I’d like to start a sailcompany just to support you dude…
    Something like GUN….mmmmletmesee…Arrows sounds good
    But seriously…Angulo sails?

• ghosts says:

the sport has lost all the glamor, tour shit, shit contracts ,guys who do not look ahead, there are only people who look to they own pocket, the industry treat the rider as oranges, squeeze them and then quickly direct to the trash.I think the same people who have taken up the sport is killing the sport,,,soon everybody just paddle board,,,,
    Sorry josh for you,,but i think you are better with your family than sucking cooks around, as many others do.The industry does not understand the word value and it seems that riders understand it either.

• ghostbuster says:

dude, there are plenty of riders getting good support from brands that they are happy to be a part of, just because one brand takes too long to give a decision to a rider does not mean every brand mistreats their riders – get some perspective, amazing how much negative crap there is to read on this forum/website sometimes.

glamor? keeping up with the news lately? any idea how much media coverage our new 17yr old world champion just got? is he badly treated by his sponsors, kid is earning a fortune already, as he should as a 17yr old athlete/world champion. Just because place 10-50 in the world cup is not earning a living, does not mean the riders are all suffering or that the sport is being killed.Tour is shit, hmm, obviously you also have not seen what it was 5-10yrs ago, take a look at a calender then and now.

Josh is a great champion, seems they did not treat him correctly, maybe another brand will see his potential and make him an offer, let´s hope so, he´s a great character for the sport. Or maybe it´s time for him and other older riders to make place for the new generation too? Time will tell, certainly the slalom discipline could do with some new heroes, but they have to be able to win too, just like Freestyle or Waves….

• Pablo says:

Josh Angulo is a legend, His journey is amazing and exceptional. I want to see him do the american wave tour or get invold in the PWA, ECT. All the best
    It can’t and wont be the End.

x

• Tomak says:

josh is a legendary windsurfer no doubt there, but i guess there are always two sides of the story.so imagine yourself leaving a brand because of a disagreement..should be really easy to blame the company for everything that went wrong..i’m sure they had their reasons, why else would someone drop josh angulo?

• georgi says:

to tomak: why wont gun say their reasons to dismiss Josh?

• bongo says:

geeeeeeez…

no PWA and no 2012 boardline and gun have started dumping the prices on the 2011 overstock boards… whatsaaaaap Josh?????

Leave a comment!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

Please login with your Facebook, Twitter or Continentseven Account.

Connect with Facebook