Home » Moves, Moves / Wave, Professional
Wave 720° Mark Angulo
on 17. February, 2012 – 20:06 / 21 Comments

We got a nice attempt of a Double Wave 360, which would then be a Wave 720°, or is it a Double Mutant, which is also an invention by Mark Angulo. We were not sure, so we asked Mark Angulo himself to explain the difference betweeen a Wave 360 and a Mutant.  Thanks to our good friends at Maui Nerd Productions for sending the move.

Mark Angulo: “I think the first thing I need to clarify is the claim that this video tag makes that I am nailing double Mutants. This is not true. While I am trying double 360s, I haven´t been successful yet. The next thing is that a ” Mutant” is also a 360. A different, much more difficult variation of a 360. It came about as I was trying to do a 360, yet travel long distances over sections of the wave. In order to do that you have to stall the rotation for a second by looking up at the mast tip, which allows for a high speed, down the line, rotation.Therefore the term “Mutant”. I try not to get all technical about 360s, as to me, every one is a good one! Most of the time , the wave dictates the rotation , more than my efforts to manipulate it. The one in your video, I consider to be a 720 attempt. No need for a “Mutant” here. Just trying to get around twice.”

Latest Wave Moves:

• John Smith says:

this is not a mutant, this is a wave 360…but whatever its amazing…

• medea says:

Yes, that´s what we wrote, that it is basically a Wave 360, rotated a bit differently.

• Pete says:

“nails” ?? I just saw an overrotation, a wipeout. Also Mark explained already in interviews that $this is not a mutant.

• John Smith says:

sorry medea, but this is not rotated differently, i have seen for example levi doing them the same, or polakow….if you want to make a decent 360 this is the way…the rest are not called wave 360´s…

• houna puka says:

Looks like air 360 into forward, slow down the rotation frame by frame and watch him sheet in the sail on the second rotation

• tobi says:

Its a double Gu Screw, because he landing behind the wave and not in front of it.

• John Smith says:

why they keep saying that its a mutant…its not!!

• chris says:

So what´s it out of your view?

• In my view,, just plain old bad-ass. Too much time dissecting what it is guys. Mark’s flying around so quick, you can’t ven claim what it is our isn’t… except bad-ass.

• John Smith says:

this move is bad-ass, the first rotation is a wave 360 and you can see he wants to go for the doble…coming from Mark i believe he wants to land inside the wave.

• ben newson says:

this thing is sick!

• medea says:

We´ll ask Mark Angulo about this nametopic, as he is the inventor of all those rotations.

• gab says:

the second rotation is not a 360 is abad overrotation… but it’s possble to do something about it…360 into forward it’s possble…

• nott says:

whatever you may call it, i call it fuckin radical for an rather “old” dude like angulo!!!

• Yarden says:

Fucking A!!

Please Please Please stop trying to find out what is the proper way to say the move….

Amazing.

• georgi says:

Old goats still kick ass! Yeah!

• Davo says:

Josh, well spoken! Who gives a crap? F-ing nimrods even discussing what it COULD be…f**k that! Mark is STILL the sickest rider out there any given day, whatever he pulls.

• medea says:

Read the answer of Mark Angulo, if it is a Mutant or Wave 720.
    “I think the first thing I need to clarify is the claim that this video tag makes that I am nailing double Mutants. This is not true. While I am trying double 360s, I haven´t been successful yet. The next thing is that a ” Mutant” is also a 360. A different, much more difficult variation of a 360. It came about as I was trying to do a 360, yet travel long distances over sections of the wave. In order to do that you have to stall the rotation for a second by looking up at the mast tip, which allows for a high speed, down the line, rotation.Therefore the term “Mutant”. I try not to get all technical about 360s, as to me, every one is a good one! Most of the time , the wave dictates the rotation , more than my efforts to manipulate it. The one in your video, I consider to be a 720 attempt. No need for a “Mutant” here. Just trying to get around twice. Mark.”